Saturday, February 8, 2014

37. The Fuzzy Navel Nuptials

Boomers really wanted to retire.  The Boomers could not retire as there were not enough workers to cover government pension plans and every time the Boomers tried to cash out their investments, (which they always managed to do like lemmings), the market crashed. 
This was because the politicians who were in power during what were supposed to be the prime employment years of the Boomers' lives had failed to tax the Boomers sufficiently to cover a pension plan that would last forever and cover more than half the population.
This is when the credit card slaves really began to make sense – Boomers who couldn't afford to not work, purchased low priced slaves from the credit companies and sent them to work instead, forcing the slaves to sleep in their basements.  Sometimes the slaves shared accommodations with the Boomers' 110 -year-old parents, or with the large, locked freezer that no one was allowed to talk about.
Of course, this meant that during the first quarter of the twenty-first Century, Boomers' desperate need to accumulate huge enough sums to cover their old age made them appear insanely greedy and covetous, instead of merely desperate and terrified.  Nonetheless, their children could not filter their parents' behavior through the reality-colored filter that the Boomers all looked through.  Instead, they saw driven, bitter, workaholic freaks who competed like hyenas in a desert drought. 
Their offspring didn't just hate the Boomers because, due to time constraints, Boomers' kids were usually neglected and ignored by the adults whose attention they most craved.  They didn't just hate the Boomers because the Boomers were the most populous and dominant demographic in all the rich democratic countries and therefore had absolute power, which had, long ago, corrupted absolutely.  They hated the Boomers because they wouldn't share.

For the crew of the Waste-REL, leaving the fuzzynavel was even more debilitating the second time around.  It's one thing to be stripped of all your loose, ugly, destructive personality traits on the first go through.  But the second time through a fuzzynavel, especially if it's within 72 hours, totally strips your mind of all the gunk you learned to defend yourself against the ugly, messy, destructive behavior of other human beings.
Although Jules was functioning optimally the instant he re-existed in space/time, the others just sat and stared at the wall for an hour, utterly at peace.  This was fine because Jules could run everything.  They had a comparatively longer trip ahead of them as they were not being propelled away from the fuzzynavel at the same breathtaking speed at which they originally approached it.
Donny was the first to start to come out of the haze of re-existence.  "Juwes."
"Yes, Donny," said Jules.
“Am I awive?” asked Donny.
“Oh, yeah.  But don’t ask me what time it is,” said Jules. “It’s not that I don’t know, I’m just having a hard time believing it.”
"Can I wad the RediTediBahs?" asked Donny.  "Peas."
"Really?" said Jules.  "Coincidentally, the RediTediBears are being uplinked to a satellite right now, or should I say, about a minute ago, so we're receiving it as I speak."
Then Jules began to decode the signal (that was meant for the Digistream Satellite II) onto the display nearest Donny.
Gradually, all the humans turned their attention to the display.
A little florescent pink, fluffy, chubby gopher/bear named RediTedi sang a little ditty in a British accent.
"Good show," said Mickey.
"Oh, man, I wuv dis show!" smiled Lyle.
"I know this one," said Portia, all excited.
"Yeah," said Donny, his eyes welling with tears.  "This is the one where the cherry lollipop tree comes down from the fluffy white clouds because he's so very sad." Donny started to whimper to himself.
"I remember this now," said Ayame.  "My brother used to watch this show.  It sounds different in English."  Ayame was very happy to remember her older brother.  She loved her older brother.
"Oh, that poor lollipop tree," sighed Verna.  "How can he be so sad?"  She hitched and whimpered and then sniffled.
"Listen, listen," said Donny.
On the display the RediTediBear spoke to the lollipop tree.  "You mean all the lollipop trees have been cut down by the Robbibank?"
"Yes," said the lollipop tree.  "All the lollipop trees have been cut down.  Now all my friends are gone."
All six of the humans on the Waste-REL, strapped tightly into their chairs and clothed in multiple layers of self-contained, helmeted space suits, began sobbing uncontrollably.
"Thaz… so… sad," blurted Verna, who shrieked with grief.
Mickey was getting upset at everyone for getting so upset.   "Hey, we have a real problem here," he interrupted.  "We have to think about what we're going to do about having to kill the Boomers."
"It's okay," whimpered Lyle as tears streamed down his cheeks, tears he couldn't get at through his face shield.  "I… I know what I have to do."
"No," said Portia, trying not to cry and then thinking of her Boomer parents and bursting into further sobbing.
"You never let me watch this show when we were kids," said Donny.  "You always wanted to watch the Little Madonna Show.  You were mean."
"Ah," gagged Portia.  "How can you call me mean?"  She was heart broken.  Her brother had cut her to the quick.
"I'm sorry," said Donny, realizing his mistake, "I'm just…"
"Well, you… remember that time I needed to borrow your bike because mine was busted and you were in the basement with your dumb eLationII and you didn't even need your bike and you just said 'NO' like that, as if I was nothing -- that reaaaally hurt me, you know."
"I … I can't remember… that was almost 20 years ago."  Now Donny's heart was breaking.  "I am sooo sorry if I hurt you like that…"  Donny looked to Mickey, his eyes wide with panic.  "How will she ever be able to forgive me?"
"I'm so sorry I even brought it up…" said Portia.  "I never meant to hurt you Donny."
"I'm sorry I was mean to you when we first got on the ship," said Verna to Lyle.  "Can you ever forgive me?"
"I'm sorry about panicking about the little dangly thing," said Lyle, punching his leg.  "I'm so stupid, stupid, stupid."
"I miss my bruh-uhther," wailed Ayame.  "If he was here I'd tell him how much I miiii- hiss - him. Aaaahah."
"Jules," asked Mickey, trying hard not to cry anymore and then feeling really bad for bothering Jules.
"Yes," said Jules.
"Can you please help me change the mood?" asked Mickey.  "If you don't mind?"
"Sure," said Jules.  Then Jules changed the stream to the world's most popular Webivision comedy program -- "The Kick Some Guy In The Nuts Show". 
By 2044, Reality TV had become the number one form of entertainment and "The Kick Some Guy In The Nuts Show" had become the number one show.  The basic premise of the show, from which the producers never deviated, was to run up and kick a guy in the testicles and run away.  Huge numbers of people watched the show and they all peed themselves laughing, except the guy who got kicked in the nuts -- he usually couldn't pee for a week.
Knowing that this was such a popular show and that humans found it endlessly amusing, particularly female humans, Jules had chosen it especially.  However, in their present state of mind it was like throwing gasoline on a bonfire and the entire crew began sobbing uncontrollably in sympathy with the victim of the show's "entert-abuse".
"One time… I kicked my brother in the nuts!" wailed Ayame who bowed her head in the agony of guilt and held her helmet in her hands.
"The straps in this chair are killing my nuts," said Lyle.  This was because it was his turn to sit in Verna's lap.
"Okay," said Jules.  "Bad choice.  Listen, Porsh…"
"Yeh…esss," weeped Portia.
"You're the psychologist here, any suggestions to lighten the mood?"
"No… more… video…" said Portia.  "It'll kill us."
"What, exactly, is your problem?" asked Jules.
"I think," said Portia, trying to get control of herself.  "I think we've lost our emotional defenses.  We've immatured into a state of hypersensitivity.  It's like we're 4-years-old."
"I love kids," said Verna, her whole body vibrating with her sobs.  "I always wanted kids.  Aaaaaah!"
"Me too," said Lyle, smiling and then crying and then smiling again.  "I'll take care of them if you'll go make the money."
"Good deal!" said Verna, beginning to get control of her breathing.
"Will you marry me?" asked Lyle, sniffling.
Verna stared at Lyle and then exploded into a wail of tears "YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASSSSS!"
"That's wonderful!" said Lyle.  "That's… that's … the most wonderful thing that's ever happened to me in my entire life!"  Then he too exploded into another ferociously loud batch of sobbing and facemask steaming tears.
Donny turned to Ayame, a little afraid.  "Will you marry me and promise not to kick me in the nuts?"
"Yes, yes, yes," said Ayame.  "I don't do that anymore!"
Mickey turned to Portia, both hitching and sucking back little inhales like a couple of kids 10 minutes after a good cry.  "I love you," said Mickey.
"I love you tooooooo," said Portia, once again weeping.
"Do you want to get married?"
"I thought that getting married was old fashioned," said Jules.
"Not in the emotional state we're in it's not," sobbed Portia.  "We're all feeling terribly alone and insecure and vulnerable and I love him sooo much…" She started sobbing again.
"It's okay, I get it," said Jules.
"You didn't answer me," said Mickey, suddenly all serious and not crying.  "Don't you want to marry me?"
"Oh, you know I do," said Portia.  "It's just that you're so vulnerable now… it's not fair…"
Mickey tried to kiss Portia and slammed his helmet's facemask into her own with a loud bang.  He unlocked his face mask and pulled it up as Portia frantically did the same and they tried to kiss but the shoulder straps held them back; so they pulled off the straps and then reached out to hug each other and their helmets’ frames were distanced a little too far out from their faces; so they tried to stretch their lips out, but they were just a centimeter too short; so they rubbed nose tips instead.
"I don't care if I'm too vulnerable right now," said Mickey.  "In my whole life I'll probably never get up the nerve to ask you if I don't ask you right now, so, what's it gonna be?"
"If you feel the same way later, of course I'll marry you," said Portia.
"No, right now," said Mickey.  "Hey, Jules, want to be the captain of the ship?"
"Oh, I get it," said Jules, "Okay. Dearly beloved we are gathered here…"
"Oh, this is great!" said Lyle and he grabbed Verna's mitten.  Donny grabbed Ayame's gloved hand and she swallowed hard and turned to Jules, eyes-wide.
The triple wedding took about 15 minutes, there were no rings and Jules had to say "you may now rub noses with the bride" at the end because it wasn't safe to take off their helmets.  Most importantly, everyone seemed to achieve an emotional equilibrium afterwards.
They ate some yogurty tubey stuff for dinner and that made them feel better too.

Jules hated to ask, but the Waste-REL was starting to fall apart again and soon after they were happily bumping around the little craft hunting for stuff to fix while remaining in the bulky space suits because Verna, Ayame and Jules agreed that the Waste-REL might somehow crack under the pressure of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment